Owner Accounting Services logo banner

Efficient, reliable, and professional taxation service to small businesses, investor groups, and Non-Resident Owners of US Real Estate

Florida Rental Licences

Short term rental owners (rentals for terms of less than 6 months) require two separate licences to operate in Florida.

State Hotel License (Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation)

Once you have obtained your ITIN, you must apply for your Hotel License in order to rent out your property. This license must be displayed in your home together with the State License. In many cases your management company will look after this aspect, but if this is not the case, you must apply once you have received your ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number). We can assist in this matter, or apply on your behalf. Once the license is issued, it must be displayed in a prominent place in your rental home and the Inspector may wish to make a visit to your rental property, before the license is granted.

Florida Department of Business Regulation

Occupational License (Business Tax Receipt)

In addition to the State License, Rental Homeowners also require a County Occupational License, or Business Tax Receipt. Your Management Company would normally apply for this on your behalf, after the Hotel License has been received.

Should your Management Company not provide this service, we would assist in the application.

Local Business Tax Receipts are renewed annually in August/ September. All businesses must maintain a current Business Tax Receipt or face penalties and the business owner must also report change of ownership or any change of contact details to the County Tax Collector.

Below are the links for the Tax Collector websites:-

Polk County
Orange County
Osceola County
Lake County – Not applicable in Lake County

Joomla SEF URLs by Artio
Current Currency Exchange Rate 1 GBP = 1.27 USD

(Exchange rate supplied by the European Central Bank, correct on 2018-08-16).